Art pottery production at the University of North Dakota School of Mines (UND) began in 1904. In 1910, Margaret Cable became the ceramic department head at the University. Ms. Cable became the most recognized artist in North Dakota art pottery history.
Other recognized artists include Julia Mattson, Flora Huckfield, Freida Hammers, and Margaret Pachl. With the retirement of Margaret Cable and Flora Huckfield in 1949, the University of North Dakota art pottery production for resale dramatically reduced. Most UND Pottery is marked with the cobalt blue University of North Dakota seal and signed by the artist. In addition, some examples of UND Pottery are dated.