Peters and Reed Pottery was established by John D. Peters and Adam Reed in 1899. Located in South Zanesvile, Ohio, the company used the local red clay to create its first functional and later decorative art ware. In 1921, Peters and Reed changed its name to The Zane Pottery Company, where it was then run by employee-turned-owner Harry S. McClelland. Many of the art pottery lines produced by Peters and Reed Pottery were continued by Zane Pottery. Zane Pottery continued under McClelland and his family until 1941, at which time the company was sold to Gonder Ceramic Art Pottery Company.
Peters and Reed's first recognized art pottery line was the Moss Aztec, which was introduced in 1912. The Moss Aztec was developed by Frank Ferrell, and it was made by spraying the molded designs in relief with green coloring, then wiping the top of the piece to create a “moss” effect. Other recognized Peters and Reed lines include scenic Chromal, colorful blended Landsun, the copper-brown and green iridescent Montene, and the green, orange, and blue Pereco. All of these lines were continued under Zane Pottery, with a few additions such as the colorful, semi-matte Sheen and double-glazed Drip lines.
Pieces from the Peters and Reed Pottery from 1912 to 1921 are unmarked. To contrast, Zane Pottery was typically marked with an impressed logo of overlapping letters “ZCPO” and “Zanes Ware, Made in USA.” Dating for Zane Pottery includes the body of the work; the company used the traditional red clay for only a few years, changing to the area’s white clay after 1926.